I had a birthday party last night to celebrate my 30th Birthday. I didn’t have one for my 18th or 21st birthdays, so I felt the time to celebrate had come!
I hired a lovely venue with a bar and a DJ, and invited friends and colleagues from everywhere I know. About 50 people came, and we caught up on the news, chatted, drank and did a bit of dancing. People who would never normally have got together met one another and had a good time. It was fab.
I’m not 30 until Thursday, but that’s ok. I’m going to have a second celebration then!
In honour of my 30 years, I thought I’d share 30 things about me:
1) I have always loved peanut butter. Only now do I appreciate how bad it is for me!
2) I’m not a great fan of TV programmes which happen over several episodes. I can never guarantee to be there for the subsequent shows, so I lose interest.
3) In my first job I was a Christmas Temp at Our Price Video. I heard the film Sister Act about 25 times before I actually watched it because it was on loop play over that Christmas (1992).
4) I don’t own any brown shoes, nor would I really want to. In fact, every pair of shoes I own are black. I have a pair of blue trainers, but that’s it!
5) I’m allergic to lemon squash. (Among a list of other things).
6) I’ve never actually packed up belongings into a removal van to move house in my entire life.
7) I have a Batchelor of Science Honours Degree in Psychology.
8 ) My middle name is Elizabeth, since I was born in the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Year (1977).
9) I am a quarter German. (Not physically – my maternal Grandmother was German).
10) I used to play squash reasonably well, but gave up in my teens because I didn’t fit in with the people who played squash at the local club.
11) My tolerance for alcohol is very poor! Especially wine. 3 glasses and my bones melt….
12) I’m not ticklish.
13) I’m not superstitious. Its incredibly liberating!
14) I don’t own a T shirt with a brand-name written on it.
15) I love The Muppets and own series 1 on DVD.
16) I once worked for Tesco on the checkouts, but I hated it.
17) I’m prone to motion-sickness and vertigo, and get incredibly ill on boats.
18) I don’t like oranges or anything related to an orange (such as grapefruits, apricots, mandarins, tangerines, etc) nor anything orange-flavoured. The exception to this is chocolate orange. For some reason I can tolerate the flavour of that!
19) I really enjoyed Shakespeare plays at school, and chose to read three extra ones for my extended essay coursework in A Level English Language.
20) I love Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, and have read every one that has been released in paperback. I’m slowly replacing my collection of the books after losing my originals in the divorce.
21) I can play the recorder, and own a descant and a tenor. (Not instruments that are ever in demand!)
22) I’m an HR Manager by profession.
23) I’m a casualty make-up and simulation artist, and provide and brief casualties (actors) for first aid competitions and exams and other related events.
24) I like cooking, and would always do more of it if I had the time to – but I have never worked in catering, and would absolutely hate it if I did.
25) I’m omnivorous. Nothing in life is worth sacrificing a bacon sandwich for.
26) I believe there is such a thing as a platonic friendship that works.
27) I can’t use a hammer to knock a nail into anything. I don’t know what it is, but I always get it wrong.
28) I don’t wear very much make-up. Not because I’m stunningly beautiful, but because it hides who you really are. Oh, and I’m too lazy to waste my lay-in in the morning to have a full beauty-routine.
29) I strongly object to people trying to sell me things when I’m not in a shop. Don’t stop me in the street with your catalogues, nor ring me at home from your call centre!!! I’m not bloody interested!!!
30) Like most English people, fake sincerity really gets my goat. If you tell me to have a nice day, mean it. If you don’t want to know how I’m really feeling, don’t ask me. Smile when you’re happy, and at no other time. I can tell when you’re faking…..