Post Op

I’ve been in, had the op, and I’m back home.

I have a dyed pink left foot (the remainder of the disinfectant they painted on for the procedure), an adhesive dressing on the top of my foot where it meets my leg, and a pair of crutches.

I was glad that I recovered from the general anaesthetic (GA) without throwing up, because when I had one back in 1990, I was sick before I could open my eyes. It was nasty, and I wasn’t looking forward to a repeat! I didn’t feel worried before the operation at all – I knew I was in safe hands and that Badger was waiting for me to return. I was even giving contracts advice to the anaesthetic team before they put me out!

When I came round I could feel lubricant in my throat (they coat the tube with this when they pass it down your wind-pipe), and the sticky reminants on my lips of the gluey tape with which they secured the tube to my face. I started to come round about 4pm, and hour and 20 minutes after they took me in and gave me the GA.  

I had to eat something (a cheese and pickle sandwich with far too much pickle in it!) drink something (water or tea) and pass urine before they would let me leave. To be perfectly honest, I wasn’t ready to leave until all these things had happened anyway. I hadn’t eaten since 7.15am, so by the time by sandwich arrived about 5pm, I was more than hungry.

But, when my system diverted its reserve blood supply to my digestive system for the first time since the surgery, I started to feel faint and had to lie down again. It wasn’t very pleasant.  I finally left the hospital about 7pm ish, but I was exhausted again by 10, and went to bed.

As for the results, well, in short, my ankle is knackered. I have arthritis, a lot of internal bone and ligament damage and I definitely need an ankle reconstruction. Unfortunately, this will not fix my problem for ever. The surgeon tells me I have just about the worst dislocating ankle going – I win a prize for the greatest degree of dislocation with the smallest amount of force, and obviously my surgeon has a lot of similar patients to compare me with. Today I saw the scan picture – you can clearly see a big space between the bones when he moved my foot sideways. Not good at all.

Still, he’s cleared all the floating debris out (bits of ligament and bony stuff), plus he’s smoothed off the cartilage in there, so the next op should have a good starting place. For now, though, I still have a dangerously unstable ankle, and that won’t change until after the next operation happens.

I’ve just got to concentrate on getting back to walking again, and I’ll see the Surgeon next Tuesday for more information on the future plans for this foot.

I’ll keep you posted!


1 Response to “Post Op”

  1. 1 Liz 6 August 2007 at 12:30 am

    Here’s to a speedy recovery. glad you’re home, safe & sound!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: