Published 5 January 2012
HR , Language , People
“But if I check that my member of staff is ok, they’ll probably accuse me of bullying them.”
Yes. They probably will. When I tell you what you need to say, you’ll write it down and take it away…. but when you say it to them, they either get offended or upset, or they won’t believe you’re telling the truth. Why is this?
“How come you say exactly the same things as me, but your way is right and my way is wrong?”
Yes, I know. The fact you can’t work it out speaks volumes. Its not so much WHAT you say, its just as much HOW you say it. You’ve got to be sincere, empathetic, understanding, firm and confident, but able to adjust your approach and tone depending on what the other person brings.
And I can’t teach you that. I can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear (metaphorically, anyway), but I cannot teach you how to read other people, and put yourself across to them in the right way if you don’t already have that ability.
I might be the Bad News Fairy, but I don’t have a magic wand.
Published 3 January 2012
HR , Uncategorized
Tags: musings, people
I should write a book about my life in HR. I think people would think this commetary on my life was a bit too far-fetched to be about real-life events, though. But the truth really is stranger than fiction.
Let’s look at today’s highlights, then:
1) Tales of the Dead Dog being buried by candle-light just prior to Christmas.
2) The guy who took us to court – and got a reasonable payoff sends a heartfelt christmas card to our CEO.
3) The man who only did 5 days work and then didn’t come back has decided to try and tap us up for a fortune at Tribunal (there’s no justice).
4) Lucy Cruise-ship (manager) sends long email complaining about how half her staff haven’t bothered to come to work because they’re “sick” on the first day back. Where is she? Why, she’s at home in Kent because “there’s such a long tailback on the QE2 bridge” so she’s decided to be absent too…. Marvelous role-model….
5) The lady who has decided to come back to work today after declaring mental health issues and having 6 weeks off because her sick pay is coming to an end, but she hasn’t been signed fit by her Doctor…..
What a lovely day!! Happy New Year.
Published 2 January 2012
Hi everyone. I apologise for being away for so long. A lot happened. I had a molar pregnancy, and that meant (unfortunately for me) that I had to have a course of low-level chemotherapy to kill off a weird non-cancerous tumor that was fooling my system into thinking it was a foetus…. Nature is very interesting. More interesting when it’s happening to oneself….
Anyway, in my usual style, I dealt very positively with the whole episode, including the week in the cancer-ward at Charing Cross hospital, which I will describe as living with the dying. It puts your life into focus, certainly!
Anyway, shit happens to everyone – its all about how you decide to deal with it.
So, following a very busy year, and more recently a little Christmas break from work, I feel the time is right to come back and write.
Facebook is all very well, but I find myself needing something else. Without the bloody annoying people that make up a lot of our lives. Oh they’re nice enough, these people, but they’re mainly stupid.
Yep – still a pedantic snob. Don’t care!
Hope there’s still someone out there who might want to read what I want to say. Let me know.